The Bridge
History and Architecture
It is not only a protected cultural monument, but also the longest bridge in Europe lined with houses along its entire span. Closely linked to the historic Via Regia trade route, it was a vibrant trading centre in the Middle Ages. As early as 1156, the bridge was mentioned in documents as ‘Pons rerum venalium’ - the bridge of offered things - and still invites you to stroll and discover today as it did then. The bridge was named after the rich merchants who traded in fine fabrics, spices from the Orient and jewellery.
Brief historical facts about the Merchants’ Bridge
The fords through the Gera river gave the city of Erfurt its name and characterise its layout. Many important long-distance routes from all directions met here. The first fortified river crossings were built at an unknown time in the Middle Ages, including the wooden predecessor of the Merchants’ Bridge.
1110
There is a so-called bridgehead church at each end of the bridge. The St Giles Church (east) was first mentioned in a document in 1110, while the St Benedict’s Church (west) was not mentioned in written sources until the 13th century, but had also existed for some time.
The Merchants’ Bridge itself was first mentioned in a document. Its designation as “pons rerum venalium” (bridge of offered things) indicates that it had already been used as a marketplace for valuable goods for a period of time. Small wooden huts emerged on the bridge from which traders sold their wares.
Various collegiate churches and monasteries were entitled to the rental income from these stalls. The town council, which was formed in the early 13th century and consisted of wealthy citizens, pursued control of the important bridge and trade on it and intended to build a stone structure. The monastic rights were therefore acquired by the town, including bread banks and a cookshop at Wenigemarkt.
1325
It is not known why the construction was delayed. It is only a brief note in the chronicle of St Peter's Monastery that tells us that the stone bridge was completed in that year and that a great deal of money was spent on it. The bridge, which still exists today and was built from regional sandstone, has six arches, a length of 125 metres and a width of 19 metres.
There are stalls and permanent houses on this bridge. Guild regulations of the merchants inform us about the many imported goods that are traded, including spices, gold, silk fabrics and dyes, but also spectacles, glass from Venice, coral, figs, sultanas, rice and liquorice. Erfurt's merchants became rich from this trade and from the 14th century onwards, they made increasing inroads into the city council.
The great fire of Erfurt severely damages the Merchants' Bridge. As a result, the bridge is rebuilt, widened to 26 metres by adding trusses, vaulted cellars are created in the bridge piles and permanent buildings are erected. By this time at the latest, the bridge is also inhabited.
16th – 18th century
There were repeated fires on the bridge. Over the centuries, the houses are remodelled, and the 62 houses are gradually merged into 32. The merchant trade suffers from the economic decline of the town from the 17th century onwards. There are often disputes between the merchants and other traders, more and more craftsmen move onto the bridge.
1810
After the Reformation, the churches are used very little. At the beginning of the 19th century, they finally passed into private ownership. The St Benedict’s Church was demolished in 1810.
1895
The modern metropolis is putting pressure on the Merchants’ Bridge. At the end of the 19th century, the last parts of St Benedict's Church and houses on the Gera are demolished. The “Rathausbrücke” is built to accommodate the increasing traffic. The demolition of the Merchants’ Bridge itself is prevented by civic commitment, but is repeatedly discussed until the early 20th century.
1985
1996
The Krämerbrücke Foundation is set up by the city. It ensures the preservation of the bridge, but also its utilisation in line with listed buildings through crafts, shops and small galleries.
Graphic created by Ms Andrea Heese-Wagner
St Benedict’s Church once stood at one end of the Merchants’ Bridge (near Benediktsplatz square), the counter-part of St Giles Church at the other end. It was demolished in 1895. The outline of the former church has been traced in natural stone at its original site. And you can see a virtual representation of it by scanning the QR code at the location to enjoy a 3D augmented reality view. For further information about this project as well as the QR code to the 3D augmented reality view click the button below.
A walking tour with twelve stops around, alongside and on the bridge. Simply scan the QR stickers to gain insights into the history and contemporary life of the bridge. The free tour starts from either entrance to the bridge, at Wenigemarkt or at Benediktsplatz square, and is available around the clock.
